8/18/2005

Trip to Moscow...continued

My Russian colleague showed me a blog of a fellow Singaporean(his friend during his days in LBS) who spent lotsa time travelling across the most difficult parts of the world which you can imagine. I read about his adventures(misadventages to me) at Red Square and certainly prepared myself well prior to my first sightseeing journey in Moscow. I purposely had my business attire on and my giant Olympus camera strapped around my neck to showcase that I am of no harm, and set off towards the Kremlin.

I snaked through Ul. Old Arbat, where stores of touristy stuff were sold to tourist like me. This was where I found Macdonalds(my source of dinners and breakfast for 2 days) and Hard Rock Cafe. The street was lined with stalls selling the dolls that contains a smaller doll and a smaller one, so on and so forth till it gets to small to see it. Other common sights included street artists doing portraits of people for 20-50 roubles on the spot. Been ill-advised by my close kin to bring only USD, I found out at the entrance of the Kremlin that they only accept roubles. And so I had to make my way back to Arbat street to change some roubles and make my way back to Kremlin entrance. Now here is the interesting bit, if you are planning for a trip soon, this was my experience, and you might be able to pick up a tip or 2 on some cost saving measures(disclaimer!). Entrance to the Kremlin cost 300 roubles, entrance to the Armoury Chamber cost an additional 50 roubles. To take pictures, thats another 50 roubles, and if you carry a bag similar to my haversack(normal mambo bag), then thats another 60 roubles to safekeep it, in case you plan to bomb one of the Cathedrals in it. And make sure you plan your trip well as the Kremlin closes at 5pm.

You can see more of my pictures in my link to kodakgallery. Enjoy!

No comments: