4/07/2009

First stop - Copenhagen

The Little Mermaid

On way boarding the SAS flight, 3 women in corporate attire were chatting in front of me. "Where did get this laptop bag?", asked the 1st woman. "You just have to fill up a form from IT dept and I got it the next day", she replied while in the middle of a furious twiddling of the tiny keyboard on her blackberry. "Oh, that's brilliant, I will do the same when we get back", she shot back and immediately started to scroll on her own blackberry. At this point, the 3rd woman immediately opened her bag and took her blackberry out and started her own "crackberry" addiction. It was really quite funny seeing this interaction and the responses from each person from behind.

Arrived at the capital of Denmark just after lunch - everything seems so organised and structured; a far cry from the Heathrow airport that I left behind 2 hours back. Checked into Sleep-in-Heaven, a 15min walk from the Forum metro station, for a 14 bed dorm, that looked more like a scene from WWII - they stack up to 3 beds in each. Can't complain much as it was the cheapest (£18/night) I could find in the city. Anyway, food and drink is basically 50% more expensive than UK, especially with the current poor rates, so beware! Headed out straight after dumping my bag, only to find out that find that the 2 museums that I wanted to head to - Gallery for Doodles and Danish Design Center - are both closed today! Even then, I managed to clock my longest distance covered in a day so far - 22km! And my feet are really hurting, not sure why though as my shoes should have been very well-conditioned by now. My last stop to the Little Mermaid statue was marred by some rowdy punks doing some disgusting poses to the naked statue and climbing onto it - the ugliest side to tourism. Oh, and not forgeting a trip to the self-governing Christiania, no pictures allowed though, unless I don't wish to get out alive...

Need to sort out my planning for my Norway rail journey, still unsure if I should make my way to Bodo from Trondheim or even as far north to Narvik, and then make my way from there to Rovaniemi in Finland, although the rail doesn't connect all the way on the north of Sweden to Finland; will probably have to find a bus to get into the Lapland - Any suggestions from anyone who are familiar? I have to admit that I have only planned 30% of this entire journey, and leaving the remaining open-ended - exciting but also quite stressful considering that my dates are so tight since my dates in Russia are fixed. Oh by the way, no guidebooks for majority of this trip as well besides Estonia and Russia! And thanks for all your lovely tweets, gonna miss you all too, make sure you come visit me in sunny S'pore :)

Stupidly early morning 6am train to catch to Malmo tomorrow for a few hours to soak in the city before moving on to Norway's capital. Glad to have my amazing shures with me for this trip, time to go to bed.

Link to pictures from Copenhagen (not many to show)

No comments: