4/05/2009

Counting down to next adventure

I attended my last Fulham home game against Liverpool at Craven Cottage yesterday. Very strange as I am a out and out Reds fan but have adopted the boys in white by River Thames as my London club since a few of us chipped in to share few season tickets. The atmosphere was electrifying, with the usual 20,000 odd West-enders trying to out-sing and out-muscle Liverpudians from Merseyside by on and off the pitch. It seemed to be one of those days of "dominating and not getting a result" again after hitting the woodwork 4 times in the first half. Even the man in black was taking pity on Pool with some of the decisions that were given. Alas, a 92nd minute winner from Yossi proved to be the decisive break although I had to tone down my wild celebrations considering that I was sitting amongst the Fulham faithfuls. Poor Whites, it was a bitter blow that's football and frankly, it can only be good for the league although our bitter rivals had lady luck on their side again to win 3-2 against Villa today, thanks to an exquisite goal from a teenager today - Football is cruel...

Did my last minute packing and planning of places to stay along my "long way home" journey after a morning trip to the Columbia Flower Market, with breakfast at Terence Conran's Albion along the way. Little arty farty shops and cafes dotted around the market makes it the interesting bit, especially if you are not at all keen to carry pots of plants back to your tiny london flat. Tomorrow is my last day in the capital, strange feelings going through my mind today, think I will miss the place, the freedom and all my friends in town. Regardless, I have spent a great deal of my last 4 and half years in this part of the world, but on the other hand, I do very much look forward to the my trip across Scandinavia, into the Artic Circle, hoping to catch a glimpse of the elusive Aurora Borealis, before hoping onto my greatest adventure dream since arriving in London - the Trans Siberian rail journey across Russia, stopping twice along the way before Mongolia, and finally ending up in Beijing. After which I will find my way down Southeast China to home, in any transport besides planes.

I will be continuing to update my adventures online where possible, although I suspect I will be offline a lot more since I will be on the train most of the time. A Ukranian mate warned me against drinking too much vodka with the locals on the train - if you do not hear from me for 10 consecutive days, you know who to call.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't forget that you've been duly introduced to Polish Żubrówka so no reason to avoid Ukrainian locals ;-) hihi
Na zdrowie!
xx
Ola :)