3/31/2009

Looking back on an amazing trip

Straight on, keep traveling

I will be flying back to London today as there is no easy and affordable land transport back from where I am, and yes, I have considered someone's suggestion to buy a bicycle and peddle my way back from here - it is definitely the greenest way but I might not be able to make it back in one piece! John @Mapme updated my earlier legs (thanks John) and it presents a rough idea of where I was even though it is not at all very accurate in terms of the order (Dopplr tends to screw up the order when I go to more than one place in a day). Arriving in the Baltics seem so distant now and finding it difficult to remember it all at once.

Route of my Europe journey

Here are some stats that might be interesting:

- 26 nights;
- 11 countries;
- 31 places, including 10 capitals and 18 UNESCO listed sites;
- 1,482 photos (excluding hundreds that were deleted along the way)
- 2 flights;
- and endless trains and bus rides

Dopplr calculated that my carbon emission from transportation for this trip is 918kg from the main transports that I have taken, plus the use of my solar panels to recharge my phone, I think I am doing ok for my part.

It has been an amazing journey travelling alone, tired at times, lonely often but always encountering the least expected, with frustrations turning into life experiences. There are also plenty of lifetime memories, from the lovely hosts in Vilnius and Warsaw, to the people I meet at hostels and eateries along the way, to the once-in-a-lifetime sights in Šiauliai, Auschwitz and Birkenau, and so many more...Would I do it again? You bet I will, in fact, my next journey is to start in a week's time, 7 Apr to be exact. I will write more again in the coming days but I like to end this post and my gratitude to everyone who has been ever so nice to me during the journey, and your friendship will stay with me forever. You know where to find me, so contact me and stay in touch always! I'm getting lazy to tidy up my pictures, but a set of clean clothes and some soup noodles might get me going again...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So happy to read about the lovely hosts in Vilnius and Warsaw whom you haven't forgotten after the three long weeks! :-)
Btw, travelling alone must be indeed challenging! I really admire! I wish you all the best Dennis :)
xx
Ola