3/01/2008

First attempt at half marathon

Glorious weather today, with clear blue sky. Seems like a good day for my first training attempt at the halfway point of the full journey. Wind was slightly too strong for my liking as I moved comfortably into my first 2km point at Battersea Park, where there was a race going on at the same time (was offered liquid as I passed by the drinks station only for her to withdraw the offer at the last minute when she realised that I did not have a racing number). After a short unexpected visit to the loo in the park, I continued on across Vauxhall, by MI6 building, behind St Thomas hospital, London Eye, Oxo Tower, Tate Modern (the new outdoor exhibit is up!), Mr Livingston's office and across Tower Bridge. By this time, I was about 12km into my run and had to struggle slightly at various stages mainly due to the strong headwind + tourists who can't seem to work out where they are walking! 

From the U-turn at Tower Bridge, I continued on the other side of the river passing Tower of London, Old Billingsgate Market, along Black Friars, Somerset House, Embankment towards Parliament Sq. My last stretch along St James park mimics the last 800m of the actual race although I had to improvise on doing a slight detour to Lambeth Bridge along Millbank, Tate Britain before ending back in Pimlico. Took 1.46 to complete about 20.6km, quite disappointed with the timings, but I have to admit it was tougher than I expected and my steps were becoming smaller towards the last 5km. The strong winds did not help and again, had problems sweating but I hope to improve further in the next 2 weeks. I will try to do another 18km tomorrow if my legs allow.

Thank you to those who have generously sponsored me so far! You are incredible and your donations will keep me going to the finishing line.

No comments: