3/21/2009

Following the Danube into Hungary

My €50 ticket from Wien to Pécs

Got up at 7am, washed up and got ready to catch the 8.25am train to Budapest. Ashley looked at me with dreamy eyes when I bade her farewell and trotted along to Westbahnhof train station under the increasingly heavy snow fall. Paid €50.20 for the train to Pecs via Budapest, which is the most expensive transport that I have paid so far. Bought a baguette and another bad coffee for breakfast before the train started the 3 hour journey to the Hungarian capital.

Many including myself before this trip have probably not heard of Pecs (pronounced paich), but this sleepy university town is due to take over the European Capital of Culture from Vilnus come 2010. As I have been to Budapest and my other option of going to Lake Balaton doesn't make sense during this time of the year, this town sounds like the perfect "stay-away-from-tourist" location for me on my way down south.

The train rolled into Budapest's Keleti train station at 11.30am and almost miss my connecting InterCity train operated by Hungary's MAV leaving at 11.45am. From there, it is another two and half hours over flat plains to the south of the country, beside the borders with Croatia. On arrival, you can really sense the "local-ness" of the place, I seem to be the only traveller carry 2 huge bags, let alone an oriental one that doesn't look a bit like everyone else. Booked a night stay at Nap Hostel Pecs in the middle of the Town central and it was a quick 15min walk from the train station.

Once checked in, was told that I was the only other 2 people staying in the hostel - so far, all the hostels were pretty much full, even Bratislava had more people than this! Tamas Szep (owner) gave me a map of the town and pointed out key sights that I shouldn't miss. After an hour and half, I was already walking along their "high street" looking for food to eat. I do feel that the weather is not doing any justice to the place as it should be very pretty come spring or summer. Stopped by the local supermarket to stock up on my snickers bar supply before heading back to the hostel for a rest. Tamas later recommended me to this restaurant cum bar called Traffic within a cinema called Apollo, which was just a short walk away. Had a fusion type pasta with fried vegetables and lemonade and only cost 1400 Ft (€1 = 300 Ft), so cheap!!! I didn't stay for the DJ gig that was been setup since I thought of having a quiet night after.

The Japanese gal, Mayumi, came back late in the night after going to Harkány for a thermal bath in the afternoon followed by a music concert in the university. Chatted briefly as she was struggling a bit with English but was so courteous and kept apologising when she couldn't find the right word. Found out that she is student in Tokyo living in Shinjuku and travelling around Europe for 10 days - she chanced upon Pecs as a place to get away from after she quarreled with her travelling mate in Vienna!

Some of you asked me why did I stop couchsurfing - well, I think with more time and planning, I do like to arrange for more CS but the need to find a buddy and await for their responses, the arrangements to meet up, logistics on staying in the flat, etc make it very difficult for me on a trip like mine as I kind of plan my next cities as I go along. I do miss the knowledge and warmth that a host can provide, especially after my 2 amazing experiences in Vilnius and Warsaw, but I do feel that going to a hostel might be the best option for a tight backpacking trip like mine as it allows me the flexibility of finding one that is as close to the sights as possible to save me time on travelling, as well as making last minute decisions on when to go back/leave.

Link to all photos from Hungary.

No comments: