3/28/2009

Rolling into the ancient Rome empire

Amazing Colosseum

26 March 09 -- It is really easy to lose track of the day in the week and realise that it is exactly 3 weeks since I left London. Riga feels so distant now and I can barely remember how to say hello in Latvian.

"Buongiorno signori, una caffe americano, and this please," as I pointed to the deliciously looking Frittata. Keeping the Italian tradition, I have not tasted anything bad so far, and coffee is especially top notch, no chains, only simple classic cafes serving the best.

Bought a €15.20 ticket at the train station leaving Firenza SNM to Roma Timburtina wrongly, and paid another €0.90 for the difference to get to the central station although it is totally unnecessary since the train will pass by Timburtina and end up at Termini anyway. Was told by the locals that it might be worth to go to the smaller stations secondary stations within a city for the cheapest train tickets and hop on to any train from the main station to get there for free as there the journey is too short for any conductors to check - apparently most locals don't pay!

After 3 hrs and 45 min, I arrived at Roma Termini, the main train station in the capital. Since Rome is the most populous city in the country, it can be slightly overwhelming to the first time visitor. I chose a hostel, YELLOW, which is 10 min walk from the station. Have also decided to plan my journeys such that I arrive at a new place when there is still light so that I will not spend too long having to find my way to the destination like a headless chicken.

Yellow is quite a big hostel with multiple floors of rooms on a really old building that is literally kept upright by steel bars that are acting like supports. Paid €11 in a 6 bed dorm, which was pretty good in this city as most of them easily charge €20 and more. Chatted with a guy with a accent that is so similar to a mate of mine from Hull, which was really funny as I keep imagining that it was him whenever he said something, spookily similar! Did not waste much time after and headed out to the explore main part of Rome, such as the Pantheon, the different Forums, the Palazzis, Capitoline Hill and lastly but most important of all, the Collesuem. It is the one of the highlights that I have been eagerly looking forward to for this entire trip. The scenes of the movie Gladiator, coming back to me everytime I think about it, and imagining how magnificent it once was during its glorious days.

It did not disappoint, although I have to admit I wasn't overwhelmed in the way I thought I might be. By the time I got there for the sunset, admission has closed which means I probably have missed the chance to go in and visit. The sight was quite breathtaking, especially as the setting sun cuts a golden shadow on its facades. The floating clouds and blue sky provided an ideal backdrop for postcard taking opportunities and in my opinion, it has been well worth the trip!

After covering 14 km in the day, decided to take the metro back to the hostel for a short rest and dinner. Craving for pasta and ended up in the restaurant beside the hostel recommended by the staff, which turned out to be a terrible experience. The restaurant was taking in bulk bookings from students and were struggling to cope with their orders. On top of that, they were still trying to get customers into the restaurant. My pasta was undercooked, but compared with the pizza that some of the kids had, I was lucky enough -- the pizza was barely cooked properly, it was pale white!

Took a slow stroll down to Piazza del Colosseo, always have the postcard image of the Colosseum on my mind and wondering how best to recreate the scene. Spent a good one hour and half walking around the Colosseum to find the ideal spot, timing, vehicles and lighting. Snapped a few shots, reasonably happy with them and headed back again on the metro; too lazy to walk. Slept soon after.

No comments: